Monday 3 February 2014

New potatoes, Old Potatoes, chicken chorizo stew….

What a scintillating post title huh?
(say it in the style of that old rhyme 1 potato, 2 potato and you're getting somewhere)

So what with the sunshine *audible gasp* appearing yesterday, and the sudden abatement of Mr Jim's illness (it didn't last) we took ourselves off to the allotment for a long overdue reckie.

And it didn't look too bad, actually. (must have been the sun, obscuring our view - I don't remember it looking so weed free last time I looked…)

Of course I wasn't actually prepared for this, so did not have any of the tools necessary to do any of the jobs I might have done if I'd have known there wasn't as much digging as I thought. (she rambles..)
So, I dug.

And look what I found!


Hmm. Last years 'new' potatoes. Is it wrong to dig up and eat Old New Potatoes almost a year after they were put in the ground?
Heck No.

And to prove it, we fine dined on one of the best 'leftover sunday dinner and surprise old new potato dishes' you'll taste.




Chicken and Chorizo Stew

Actually adapted from a good old netmums recipe… (particularly good when you don't have many fancy ingredients to hand and you want something easy!)

Leftover chicken from yesterday's lunch
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 large red onion
1 chorizo sausage ring, cut into chunks
450g potatoes (quartered new or old potatoes!)
Handful of pitted black olives
1-2 tsp cayenne chilli powder
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 pint chicken stock

In a large saucepan, fry the onion until soft and transparent, and add the chorizo chunks. When the chorizo juices start to run, add the chicken to the pan. 
If you are adding cayenne then pop it in now.
Finally, add the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree, garlic and potatoes.
Cover the pan and simmer on a low heat for about 20-30 mins depending on how small your potatoes were when you cut them. 
5 minutes towards the end of the cooking time add the black olives and give it a quick stir.

Serve with crusty bread (or sliced wholemeal if you don't have crusty to hand - it soaks up the juice just as well ;)

I've also made this as a risotto, when I haven't been in the position to dig up a glorious bounty of old new potatoes, and it tastes great too.

(However, I'd steer clear of worms if I were you….)



So, onwards into a new week, a February week, I wonder what's in store for us all? x

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3574527/?claim=8c6nz5659d7">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>





6 comments:

  1. Very resourceful and yummy. You can't beat chorizo can you? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely way to use your treasure ,,, Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum. We made chicken and chorizo stew last week and had it with couscous. It's a delicious standby recipe and we've also had it with rice or potatoes. What a lovely surprise to be able to harvest something in February! x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading. If you fancy leaving a comment, please do. It'd make my day! x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow TWO + TWO